Sheffield Old Town Hall stands on Waingate in central Sheffield.
The building was commissioned to replace Sheffield’s first town hall, which had opened in 1700 to a design by William Renny. This first structure stood by the church, on a site with little prospect for extension.
The Old Town Hall was built in 1807 and the initial building was a five-bay structure fronting Castle Street, but it was extended in 1833 and again in 1866 by William Flockton of Sheffield and his partner for the project, Abbott; the most prominent feature was the new central clock tower over a new main entrance that reoriented the building to Waingate. At the same time, the building’s court rooms were linked by underground passages to the neighbouring police offices.
By the 1890s, the building had again become too small, and the current Sheffield Town Hall was built further south. The Old Town Hall was again extended in 1896–97 and became Sheffield Crown Court and Sheffield High Court In the 1990s, these courts moved to new premises, and since at least 1997 to present, the building now remains disused.
After planning an exploration to Sheffield we arrived at this absolute beauty of a place, from the main street this building looks magnificent especially with the grand clock tower, we arrived at around 5pm but had to wait a few hours until it got dark before we could gain entry due to the location being right in the middle of a main street, but it was well worth the wait !! Access to this building was one of the most enjoyable and hilarious we have ever encountered and the inside was one of the most beautiful, with three great courtrooms, lovely detailed staircase, imposing columns, a atmospheric cell block and finally the clock tower which gave a great view of the streets below ! An amazing night, we spent hours here and enjoyed every minute.
All images © 2013-2015